Welcome to the press kit….
Media and Press Enquiries
If you’d like to find out more about Sarah Jane Brown, arrange an interview or press visit, please contact Nicola Brown for further information.
There are a wide range of high resolution images available, please contact Nicola Brown for details.
If you would like to receive regular press releases, please contact Nicola Brown with your details.
- March 2017 | Pembrokeshire artist Sarah Jane Brown to present solo exhibition ‘Creating Space’ in the Joanna Field Gallery, Milford Haven in June
- March 2017 | Pembrokeshire artist Sarah Jane Brown to exhibit in Mayfair, London, at The Discerner Gallery
- March 2017 | Artist Sarah Jane Brown to feature in Cardiff Art Exhibition ‘Be Bold for a Change’ celebrating International Women’s Day
- December 2016 | Pembrokeshire artist Sarah Jane Brown’s ‘My Peninsularity’ exhibition extended until early January 2017
- October 2016 | My Peninsularity Exhibition 5-30th November 2016 at Off The Wall Gallery, Cardiff
- September 2016 | Pembrokeshire artist Sarah Jane Brown to launch new exhibition ‘My Peninsularity’ in Cardiff in November
- September 2016 | ‘Hear Us’ painting raises £600 for local Pale Moon Charity, and ‘This Hallowed Coast’ exhibition dates now extended to end of September
- September 2016 | Buy a unique painting by Pembrokeshire artist Sarah Jane Brown and support Pale Moon Charity’s poignant local cause
- September 2016 | ‘This Hallowed Coast’: a collection of emotionally and spiritually moving paintings inspired by the Pembrokeshire coast
- August 2016 | Pembrokeshire artist Sarah Jane Brown to exhibit in major national marine art exhibition in London
- August 2016 | Experience a unique artist workshop upon the sea with Pembrokeshire artist Sarah Jane Brown and Falcon Boats
- August 2016 | Sarah Jane Brown returns to St Davids Cathedral to showcase meaningful new work ‘This Hallowed Coast’
- May 2016 | Artist Sarah Jane Brown announces a new exhibition of paintings at newly refurbished Etcetera, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
Media Coverage and Reviews
- March/April 2017 | Welsh Country Magazine | A unique artist workshop upon the sea
- March 2017 | The Discerner Magazine | Sarah Jane Brown
- Issue 8 Spring 2017 | Inside Artists | Artist Profile: Sarah Jane Brown
- 9th November 2016 | Interview on BBC Radio Wales Arts Show with Nicola Heywood Thomas
- November/December 2016 | Welsh Country Magazine | New exhibition for artist Sarah Jane Brown
- November 2016 | Listing in Buzz Magazine | Sarah Jane Brown: My Peninsularity
- 18 September 2016 | Interview on Radio Pembrokeshire | Sunday Arts Show with Gwen Watson
- 16 September 2016 | Pembrokeshire Herald | Moving exhibition inspired by Pembrokeshire coast
- 14 September 2016 | Western Telegraph | Landscape art of the coast to go on display
- September 2016 | Pembrokeshire Life Magazine | Local painter is making waves
- September 2016 | County Echo (online) | Artist donates special painting to auction
- September 2016 | Preview in Buzz Magazine | Sarah Jane Brown: This Hallowed Coast
- September 2016 | Listing in Buzz Magazine | Sarah Jane Brown: This Hallowed Coast
- 5 August 2016 | County Echo | Sarah’s solo show
- July/August 2016 | Welsh Country Magazine | New exhibition for artist Sarah Jane Brown
- May 2016 | County Echo (online) | Exhibition in home city for landscape painter
Link to BBC Radio4 Interview: Sarah Jane Brown section from 21mins 50secs. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rr7rt or listen on soundcloud…
Review: Related Shorelines Review ‘Being there and not being there’ by John Mercer
Sarah Jane Brown | Contemporary Welsh Landscape Painter
Sarah Jane Brown lives in the heart of the spectacular Pembrokeshire Coast National Park in West Wales, where her environment, and mostly maritime career, has instilled a deep affinity with the sea. As a mature student, she specialised in ‘Fine Art Painting’, gaining a first class honours degree from the West Wales School of the Arts. Since graduating Sarah Jane Brown’s career as a full time professional artist has steadily gained momentum and recognition. She has exhibited widely in the UK including several solo shows in Cardiff and numerous prestigious exhibitions in London, such as the ‘Cork Street Open’ in Mayfair and with the ‘Royal Society Marine of Artists’ at the Mall Galleries. She has exhibited as far afield as New York City USA, and her work is now attracting international collectors.
Sarah Jane Brown applies her knowledge of ‘old master’ techniques with contemporary working practise. Her expressive style combines a variety of methods; staining, glazing and blending in many layers, gradually building up thickness and texture. Paint is applied with brushes, knives, rags and sometimes fingers. It is painted, scraped, flicked, spattered and poured on, and sometimes off again, until the finished painting presents itself.
Conceptually her paintings are an outpouring of personal feeling and a strong sense of place. Whilst the works are not abstract, they are open to interpretation. Many offer a duality, using the landscape metaphorically to describe thoughts and emotions.
“The familiar coastal landscape near my home in Pembrokeshire is source material for my painting. I walk, photograph, sketch and make painted studies. From these I continue my practise in the studio; I use colour and gesture to convey the sensations of light and space, the elemental forces of nature, and the emotions that are often unleashed by the experience.” Sarah Jane Brown
The Discerner Exhibition | The Discerner Gallery, Mayfair, London | 15 March – 15 April 2017
Be Bold for a Change | Off The Wall Gallery, Cardiff | 25 February – 31 March 2017
- Etcetera Gallery, St Davids | Original Paintings and Limited Edition Prints
- Off The Wall Gallery, Cardiff | Original Paintings
- Lion Street Gallery, Hay-on-Wye | Original Paintings
- Selected for Royal Society of Marine Artists Annual Exhibition 2016, Mall Galleries, London | 28 September – 8 October 2016
- Selected for Cork Street Open, Mayfair, London | 2012
- Selected for Royal Society of Marine Artists, Mall Galleries, London | 2012
- Artist in Residence | Oriel y Parc, Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Visitor Centre, St Davids | Nov 2012 – March 2013
- 1:1 BA Honours Fine Art Painting | West Wales School of Arts, Carmarthen | 2010
- Student of the Year | West Wales School of Arts, Carmarthen | 2010
My Peninsularity | Off The Wall Gallery, Cardiff | November 2016 – January 2017
This Hallowed Coast | The Cloisters Gallery, St Davids Cathedral, St Davids | 13-30 September 2016
If you like this please share it!...